This week’s challenge was Carolina Lily and, in all honesty, my heart sank when I read that. It’s a lovely block and all but….so I read again and realized you could use the design as a jumping off point. So I did. I drafted the lily flower for paper piecing in a couple different sizes (3″, 2″ and 1.5″) and paper pieced them with scraps. Here’s the pile I started with
After paper piecing the flowers, I impromptu pieced them together using the rest of the blue/green scraps I’d pulled. It was a bit like putting a puzzle together (with the added bonus of being able to change the shapes with my rotary cutter!)
I made a Franken-batt with a few strips of batting trim leftovers put together with a quick zigzag and quilted it on my “new to me” Bernina 440. This was my first try with the stitch regulator so I stuck to what one blogger I admire calls “organic wavy lines. ”
I added a black binding and got done in time for a photo in the snow before our rain started up.
And here it is…”Mr Monet goes to Carolina.”
We’re all hoping to go back to work tomorrow but my schedule is pretty light this week so I’m hoping to have another finish to share soon!