OK, so week one is over and, major drumroll here, please, I have not one but three finished UFO’s! Now, I did mention that some of my UFO’s were pretty close to finished right? The first one was this little baby quilt for charity.
This was a group effort. A friend of my oldest daughter’s laid out and sewed the top, another friend used it as free motion quilting practice and the poor thing was sitting around just waiting for a binding (and the binding was already cut, sewn & pressed!)
So, with the first finish under my belt and quilt guild coming, I decided to finish my name tag. This was an old name tag from a previous guild that I had “re-purposed.” I had added borders, my name by machine and the quilting was done. I added the binding and sewed the back during quilt guild…after eighteen years in the Northwest Quilters Guild I finally got to say “yes” to the nice lady at the door who asks if you have your nametag!
With all the excitement of two finishes, I couldn’t help but go for three! This poor flannel quilt had been basted then left to languish for nearly a year. Not that a year is that long, actually, as I have some UFO’s that will practically be vintage by the time they’re finished! This quilt is from a pattern I used years ago to make a commission quilt for a friend. The pattern is from The Pine Needle, in Lake Oswego, and is well worth the cost of the pattern for the full-sized scallop pattern. The scallop pattern has become a mainstay of my quilting tools. The simple arrangement of squares and four-patches makes a quick and easy quilt. I first began making these in flannel to use up the scraps from the jammies I make every year for the girls. I’ve discovered that flannel must be related to dust bunnies because every time I look, there is more! Every time I back a quilt in flannel I cut the trimmings up into squares and strips to make another one of these. This one is “Flannel Jammies #6” and finish #3.
Now, lest you think that I only make things with squares, I want to share one more quilt, not an Area 51 candidate because I finished it a week before the challenge started, but a fun quilt. This is the raffle quilt for my oldest daughter’s band. This year the Honors and Senior Jazz bands are going to New York. So, to help them along, I made this:
I have to say that I was having somewhat of a “thryoid moment” when I planned this quilt. I was looking at the Dolly Madison Star block and thinking “big block = fewer blocks = quicker.” Somewhere in that equation, I left out the “big block has lots of pieces” element! I had originally planned on a more sedate red border but the dragons just pushed their way in, as dragons are likely to do and I think they look terrific.
Well, that wraps up the first Area 51 update. It’s going to be a little more challenging to get a finish this week as a certain daughter has a big (18th) birthday a week from today…but I’ll do my best. I’d love to hear what you’ve been finishing lately, too!
Week 1 Finishes 3